HAPPY FRIDAY! You probably could see from my post on the Fourways Farmers Market that I was totally enjoying my watermelon cocktail so here’s a recipe of my own so that you can make it at home. Below I’ve included both an alcohol-free (and also low in calories) recipe as well as an alcoholic recipe (the one that they used in our cocktail at the Fourways Farmers Market):
NON-ALCOHOLIC WATERMELON COOLER RECIPE
2 Serving jars
1. If you have a blender or juicer, prepare about 250ml of watermelon juice. Of course, it’s always better to have more than less, you can always store and refrigerate the left overs for another time. If you have a blender, blend the watermelon until smooth then strain it using a strainer to remove the pulp.
2. Add 125ml of the fresh watermelon juice in each jar and add the crushed ice.
3. Stir in a teaspoon of maple syrup per jar.
4. Grate about a teaspoon of ginger into each jar.
5. Add basil and mint leaves (adjust to your liking).
6. Top up with sparkling water and enjoy!
NAUGHTY WATERMELON COOLER RECIPE
2 Serving jars
Ginger beer (Stoney)
A generous shot of vodka (I prefer Absolut Vodka)
1. Place chunks of watermelon at the bottom of your serving jar and roughly crush it.
2. Add 2-3 ice cubes.
3. Pour in a generous shot of Vodka.
4. Add a few mint leaves and a wedge of lime.
5. Fill the jar with crushed ice.
6. Top up with ginger bear, serve and enjoy! 🙂
I’m always huge on presentation so if you like, you can cut the watermelon peel to make stirers or cut chunks of watermelon and place it at the bottom of the jar for the alcohol-free recipe.
Have fun and be experimental! What are your favourite summer recipes?