Hi everyone! I picked up a lifestyle change about a year ago where I would juice raw and fresh vegetables and fruits (obviously with the correct combination) and drink them up on a daily basis. From as far as I remember, I always loved drinking juices and sodas growing up and I really could not stand having to drink water. To make it worse, I used to drink at least one can or bottle of fizzy drink a day as a child, plus we always had some sort of juice or soda at home, which made it super difficult to stop. About 4 years ago, I decided to change my lifestyle by eating healthier with less junk food in my diet and naturally, I had to drink less or no soda. Now 4 years later, I’ve pretty much completely stopped drinking sodas except the odd 3 times in a year perhaps. I drink more water now than ever, sometimes I really have to force myself because I can literally not drink a thing the whole day and not get thirsty.
To add a zing to my liquid intake, I started juicing my fruits and vegetables, which encourages me to drink more in the day. Below are 2 juices I love, carrot, apple and ginger in the one bottle and the other is pure watermelon juice. Watermelon is one of the main reasons why I love summer so much!
Some things you should know about juicing:
- The juice of fruits and vegetables contain majority of the vitamins and minerals found in them (raw of course) so when you drinking it up, you’re actually taking in more vitamins and minerals than when you’re eating them cooked.
- There’s a higher intake of vegetables you probably hate eating or never eat, of course when it is juiced with a good combination of yummy fruits. E.g. I hate spinach and broccoli and I’m more likely to drink them when I juice them with sweet apples and cucumber. It smells like grass to many people but it really doesn’t taste so bad as it looks.
- If you juice them yourself, you’ll know exactly what’s in it, no colourants, no preservatives and 100% real juice.
- You have less sweet cravings because the sweet and delicious juices satisfy your sweet cravings to a great extent.
- Drinking the juice and not eating the fruits and vegetables whole will likely lead to less fibre intake so you can really control it as a setting on your juicer if you prefer to have more fibre in your juice.
- Don’t over do it because if you drink huge quantities of juice per day, it could add up to large amounts of calories. Even though you’re not drinking sugary drinks, the fruits themselves contain natural sugars which are still calories.
I have the Philips Avance Juicer (no, not ADVANCE, it’s AVANCE), it has a powerful 800w motor and has a large feeding chute so you literally don’t need to cut up your apples or even peel your lemons and oranges before feeding it in. The motor is very powerful and it’s really such a quick and simple way to make juice. So how it works is that it has a grating piece at the bottom where it literally grates all the fruits and vegetables very finely while spinning it inside which spins out the juice that ends up in your jug. You don’t get these at normal places like Makro or Game. So you’ll need to go to a specialized store that sells appliances and electronics. It’s definitely something that you should invest in. 🙂
Now that summer is near, hope this gives everyone a little boost in preparing those summer bodies!